Saturday, July 2, 2011

Blog Post #10

Do you Teach or Do You Educate?


The video starts out with defining the verb to teach in five ways. The first definition they give is to show or explain how to do something. The second is to encourage someone to accept as a fact or a principle.The third was to give information about or instruction in.The fourth, to cause someone to learn or understand something.And the last one, to induce by example or punishment to do or not to do something.
All of these definitions are true, but there has to be more than saying you teach children. To educate a student is to both teach and learn. I want to be able to educate my students as well as myself.

Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home

I find it shocking that one person can blame one article on low test scores. Not only did she bombard this teacher for letting him let his students take home pencils, but she had the nerve to stereotype all students for being low test takers if they use pencils at home. It may be true for some students, but for all of them is a little much. I am glad that he stuck up for his students and let others know that this was not the case for his class. Very interesting story to read!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that you must do more than just teach children. I liked how you said "I want to educate my students as well as myself." I think that is key to being a life long learner. If you are having trouble figuring out the metaphor used it Don't Let Them Take Pencils Home, then check out some of the links at the top of the post. I was a little confused when i first read it but after I checked out some of the links I found that what I thought the message was, was in fact correct.

    ReplyDelete